First, John Maxwell on Character. The quote we love most is “Go strong on the inside…”. Indeed, we believe that strength of character is vital in these and all times; and character comes with many facets… many faces… the virtues. Our work with The Virtues Project™ and its 5 Strategies keeps reinforcing the nuanced and powerful faces of character.
These past few weeks, we have embarked on what I am calling The Character Course. Within that post of introduction, you can catch up on Acceptance, Accountability and Appreciation.
This week, we are examining Assertiveness. As noted in this current week’s LinkedIn post, among other things…
- With this strength of character, we speak our truth with confidence… valuing the gifts and capacities we bring to the table; standing for what we see is right. In doing so, we honor our own thoughts and words, and set clear and healthy boundaries for ourselves as we move forward… avoiding distractions and drama along our path of best choice. We know that we are worthy of honor and respect as are those whom we encounter.
What does that look like for you? Here is a video from our Epic Minutes Live Series addressing thoughts on GREAT Confidence … exploring two thoughts that will help with Assertiveness… self efficacy and goal setting. The confident belief that we can and the knowing of what we truly want are foundational to purposeful Assertiveness. So,
- If you are an educator, what would this look like in the classroom or staff room? What would it look like in the youth with whom you work? How might you cultivate it?
- If you are an entrepreneur, what would this look like in your pitch and as you collaborate and build your work and business? What would this look like in your team?
- If you are any kind of emerging leader at home, school, work, business and/or community… what would this look like in how you engage your life, work and service?
And how would you build it? Here are some thoughts that lend themselves to the exploration of healthy assertiveness in our lives. Our work is around character and building that Humble Swagger™. How will you build yours? It is about going strong on the inside. May the force of true assertiveness be with you.
Peace, passion and prosperity.
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy™
Barry is ultimately a vocalist, strength coach and educator. His work is about exploring, identifying, practicing and mastering our strengths and building upon them through practical and powerful unity and resourcefulness. That is why Barry is The Unity Guy™. EPIC Engage™ is an extension of The Unity Guy™. The Epic work is all about building strong, united and inspired cultures lead by character… at school, work, business and community; where everyone matters and contributes everyday.
Here are some additional resources that may be of use and\or interest and you might appreciate. ?
- 9 experts with 9 ideas for success… a great read
PPS (Other Resources)
- Our work is all about character. We work hard and joyfully to help build character driven, united and resourceful organizations and communities around the globe. As part of that work, we offer you …
- and our buffet of FREE services and resources here.