Cheering Ourselves On
Earlier this week, we shared this post on Cheerful, Humble Charisma … to open up the conversation around Cheerfulness as a virtue; a strength of character.
Then , last night, this happened on Froude Avenue in our fair city of St. John’s. Since then, the rising up of help has been phenomenal. People are cheering on with material and emotional support. Amidst the loss, Cheerfulness has it’s place to cheer those in need. And Froude Avenue Community Center is a source of Cheerfulness. Keep helping. It is a manifestation of Cheerfulness.
That being said, Cheerfulness does indeed play a role in cheering ourselves and others on. When we offer ourselves, out of a generous spirit, we are practicing Cheerfulness. Dale Carnegie himself once said that one of the greatest ways to reduce stress in our own lives is to focus our attention on the needs of others. Cheerfulness and Helpfulness go hand in hand.
This coming Thursday, June 29… CAPS Cares is offering an opportunity to practice both. Bottom line, it is all about advancing public conversations around healthy minds and wellness… a slant on Cheerfulness, if you will. Here is our latest update on the event, free and open to the public.
That all being said…
… here is a three-step exercise we suggest you practice…. around manifesting Cheerfulness.
- STEP ONE: Think of 5 things that cheer you up, especially when you might not be feeling such instinctively. They need to be powerful. Thoughts of a certain vacation, specific memories with children, an accomplishment that brings a healthy humble sense of pride, an activity that brings a genuine smile to your spirit, a song that does the same… and so on.
- STEP TWO: Then consider what artifacts you might have that remind you of same… pictures, souvenirs or the like. Determine what visuals serve as anchors to remind you.
- STEP THREE: Create a space at your desk where those artifacts can reside… a go to mini oasis of cheer, so to speak. In moments of being “off”, take one of them up and spend some quick, cool reflection time. Do not just glance at it. Pick it up, savour the memory. Taste it. Munch on it, until it ignites Cheerfulness. Go there.
Cheerfulness, like any virtue, is practiced. We must sharpen the blades on it to build the muscle. We will explore some more later this week… but if you are in the St. John’s area, get out to CAPS Cares.
Peace, passion and prosperity.
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy™
Barry is ultimately a vocalist, strength coach and educator. His work is about exploring, identifying, practicing and mastering our strengths and building upon them through practical and powerful unity and resourcefulness. That is why Barry is The Unity Guy™. EPIC Engage™ is an extension of The Unity Guy™. The Epic work is all about building strong, united and inspired cultures lead by character… at school, work, business and community; where everyone matters and contributes everyday.
- CAPS Colleagues in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Our Leader ToC Series, up to date
- 370+ and counting posts on character and leadership
PPS (Other Resources)
- Our work is all about character. We work hard and joyfully to help build character driven, united and resourceful organizations and communities around the globe. As part of that work, we offer you …
- and our buffet of FREE services and resources here.