Earlier this week on LinkedIn, we introduced a discussion on Openness. Upon doing some reading up on Openness as a virtue or strength of character, I came across this article on Openness to Experience and Creative Achievement… connecting Openness and Creativity. In it, are identified four factors for Openness to Experience, including:
- Explicit Cognitive Ability: This factor consisted primarily of traditional measures of intelligence (i.e., IQ tests), including fluid reasoning, mental rotation, verbal analogical reasoning, and working memory.
- Intellectual Engagement: The essence of this factor was a drive to engage in ideas, rational thought, and the search for truth.
- Affective Engagement: The essence of this factor was a preference for using emotions, gut feelings, and empathy to make decisions.
- Aesthetic Engagement: The essence of this factor was a preference for aesthetics, fantasy, and emotional absorption in artistic and cultural stimuli.
The article goes on to explore Openness to Experience and its relation to Creative Achievement. It is worth more than a read; but a considerable munch. For now and for me, I suggest you might want to consider the behaviours associated with Openness as a strength of character. At school, work, business or community…
- What could honesty and transparency look like in our direct and candid conversations and sharing of perspectives … sincerely wanting to communicate?
- What would Openness look like in our actions, free of hidden motives?
- What would appreciating new ideas and opportunities look like?
- What would caring about others’ viewpoints look like?
- What about being open to life and work… how would that look?
How would these be practiced and manifested? How could they be advanced through Explicit Cognitive Ability, Intellectual Engagement, Affective Engagement and Aesthetic Engagement? What would be their impact? How would they advance Creativity? How would they advance both Trust and Trustworthiness? How would that impact your culture at school, work, business and community? Points and practices to ponder, in a world that seemingly challenges us to be closed.
Think about it. Act upon it. The return on investment is high.
Peace, passion and prosperity.
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy™
Barry is ultimately a strength coach and educator. His work is about exploring, identifying, practicing and mastering our strengths and building upon them through practical and powerful unity and resourcefulness. That is why Barry is The Unity Guy™. EPIC Engage™ is an extension of The Unity Guy™. The Epic work is all about building strong, united and inspired cultures lead by character… at school, work and community; where everyone matters and contributes everyday.
- a musical message on Openness
- this post with The CAST™ weighing in on some important things to remember at work and life.
Our work is all about character. We work hard and joyfully to help build character driven, united and resourceful organizations and communities around the globe. As part of that work, we offer you …
our FREE buffet of services here.