Purposefulness. It is about clear vision, goals and concentration on working towards them. It is about excellence and focus and commitment. It is grounded in certitude and resourcefulness. Purposefulness is about being purposeful and all about purpose (duh). That being said, Dictionary.com defines purposeful as:
- 1. having a purpose.
- 2. determined; resolute.
- 3. full of meaning; significant.
SOME THOUGHTS on QUESTIONS
The Virtues Pick for Wednesday, July 6, 2016 is… Purposefulness. I invite you to view and listen in to this video on Purposefulness. Then, I would ask that you consider these four questions.
- Who do I best want to serve? Now, get very clear on your audience; that demographic of people whom you would most like to serve, help and contribute to in what you do.
- How do I best want to serve them? Get very specific and clear on what difference you would like to make for them in what you do. Name the changes in states of being you would like to advance. In other words, and for example… because of what you do, how will their lives be better?
- What are 3 strengths of character I possess that will assist in doing so? Get on fire about what 3 virtues you have in such significant abundance that will guide the excellence of what you do and will be the basis for your reputation for excellence.
- What are 5 bodies of knowledge, skills and abilities that I can bring to the table in doing so? Identify 5 talents, capacities, skills, and abilities that you now possess as strengths of service. What do you know or know how to do, with some sense of mastery… that will powerfully affect your ability to serve?
- I am ____________________.
- My audience I best serve is ___________.
- I serve them best by helping ____________________.
- In doing so, I walk with the virtues of _________, _________, and ___________; known for them in everything I do. It is my best reputation.
- And, I deliver on this service through expertise and skill in _______, _______, _______, ______, and _______.
SOME THOUGHTS on ANSWERS
Frederick Buechner said “Vocation is the place where our deep gladness meets the world’s deep need.” Therein lies a path to purposefulness. To ready oneself for the answers to the questions, I offer some of the following as thoughts to ponder.
- Consider this video by Eddie Pinero.
- Or these words of Les Brown and Eric Thomas.
- Or this courtesy of RSA and Dan Pink.
- Oooor this around children and potential.
- And then this personal piece on purpose from Jim Carrey.
“A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play; his labor and his leisure; his mind and his body; his education and his recreation. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing, and leaves others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always appears to be doing both.”
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy™
To engage the 60-Day Challenge, check here.
Our work is all about character. We go beyond behaviour to help build character driven, united, and resourceful organizations and communities around the globe. As part of that work, we offer you …
our FREE buffet of services here.