DISCIPLINE: Among the definitions of discipline is an “activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill”. We too often think of discipline as punishment, but punishment is but one vehicle to achieve purposeful discipline. From March 2 through to March 20, as a Baha’i, I annually embark on the Baha’i Fast of 19 days. People will often immediately react with either a quizzical look or some minor look of terror to think one Fasts for 19 days. Forget the fact that Lent was originally a 40 day Fast and Ramadan is 28 days… this kind of Fasting is ultimately about spiritual discipline and connection. Each year, I gain added strength through such discipline.
Discipline is a virtue. It is the virtue of what I call “sharpening the blades”. It is the practice; the consistent and purposeful practice of getting better at something… of working towards excellence.
For EPIC Engage™ these days, there is a discipline afoot. As we fine tune and better carve our focus of service on noble leadership and building wholehearted communities at work, school and beyond, the discipline is in staying true and focused on our passion, purpose and practice. It is about being increasingly clear on:
- who we are
- what we do best
- for whom do we do it best
- how we do it best, and
- with what spirit we do it best.
So as Nicole Fowler and I practice focus through discipline, these are our answers for the EPIC Engage™ Team.
- We are EPIC Engage™.
- We engage character, unite diversity and help you do the same by uniting diverse talent and wisdom for strong cultures of growth.
- We do it for campuses, companies, communities and conferences seeking to move forward together clear and excited about the same page.
- We do it through speaking, facilitating, training, educating, writing, cartooning, singing, dancing, creating and entertaining.
- We do it with nobility, wholeheartedness, love, honor, idealism, unity and zeal. We have fun doing it.
In the coming weeks, we are refocusing trajectory. The company was launched with clarity, but like a jet, launch only gets you in the air… then you practice navigation and propulsion and the constant correction of both to achieve target. So, in these coming weeks and months, look for even greater focus with our new monthly FREE THOUGHT SERIES™ of “live and in person video blogs” on thoughts around leadership in these times. On the 15th of each month, starting in March, look for our EPIC Half Time Report™… a cool collection of thoughts around a targeted question… from our CAST™. Look for an enhanced and advanced engagement, through focus and discipline.
Focus is discipline. Staying on focus is its practice.
- Who are you?
- What do you do?
- For whom do you do it best?
- How do you do it?
- With what spirit do you do it?
Now, go practice that.
Peace, passion and prosperity.
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy™