2019, Here We Come
Today, I found myself at the top of Signal Hill taking in the view of St. John’s and Mount Pearl and Cape Spear and the North Atlantic… and the sight of Cabot Tower itself. That Tower is and has been such a vantage point for so very long. There I was … me, my music, and the wondrous view… and my thoughts. One of those thoughts was a sincere wish.
I wish you Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, however you might celebrate this time of year. Whether Christmas or Kwanzaa, Hanukkah or Festivus, Winter Solstice or… you get the picture; I hope you truly find joy in it, for you and those you love.
THOUGHT TOO: Reflection
And there were other thoughts. Just before Christmas, I wrote on my Pre-Flight Check. It was and is the culmination (thus far) of a journey towards what I am calling my 20022020 Vision. That vision, set out several months back and focusing on celebrating my 60th birthday, remains:
- It is 20022020, and I am a master and lifelong student of the global body of work around character leadership and unity building. I have learned conversational Mandarin and French to bring that work more global. I have also engaged a deepened level of spiritual studies and practice through The Ruhi Institute, and more. I am living a life filled with love, song, dance, cartooning, writing, epic stories, archery and more of what and who I love. My #bestlittledogintheworld Panda is by my side in enjoying it all. I am teaching business leadership at College of the North Atlantic, in class and online; and doing my global work of Epic Engage™. I am loving it! I am 110K in weight (slim for my body structure) and benching same; healthy and strong. And, I am financially ready, willing and able to support special projects in which I deeply want to invest and contribute.
On November 15, I set out what I called and call my 90 Day Snapshots in GREAT Goals and The Hunt; 90 day plans that serve to build towards that vision. During these past few days, I have reflected on my progress with those snapshots. Here is what I have found.
- GOOD. I am walking as a daily student of the practice of character, unity and spirit… having completed my Ruhi Studies Book 1 and prepared my study library on character and unity. I have secured learning resources for conversational Mandarin and French. I have completed my latest MUN course with a grade of 92 (a 90 average over three courses thus far). I have been singing, writing and living daily, with my #bestlittledogintheworld Panda… and finding new and challenging songs to expand my repertoire, if you will.
- GOOD. Over this week, I am re-launching the new Epic Engage™ in January, with Project Black Wing™ for launch January 1, 2019, DELIVER™ sessions and Thinking CAPS™ national chats planned… and NLAWS™ and Speakernet officially launching January 1, 2019.
- GOOD. Thus far this past Fall, I have also developed strong connections with the business development community, including MBO, Futurpreneur, and NLOWE… and have successfully completed the Fall term, teaching business leadership at college.
- GOOD. AND, I am this week completing my 20022020 W.E.A.L.T.H.™ Plan.
- GOOD kind of, in learning. Finally, we made the strategic decision to cease momondays St. John’s under our leadership and focus our best energies on other projects in 2019.
THE NOT SO GOOD, but GETTING BETTER. All in all, it has been a productive first swing and Fall, and I am pleased with the effect of having a 90-Day Snapshot with which to work. The one gaping misfire is on “I have a 38 inch waist, eating “more than right”, walking daily” and that is being resolutely addressed with a new and vigorous plan for 2019. Strategic thinking requires that.
All of that is to say that this time, during this week, has already served to be a great check in as I prepare for 2019. What I have re-learned is that:
- a powerful, personal, relevant and resonant vision is the basis for great motivation and commitment. Any moving vision must have real meaning … for ourselves. Anything less is a waste of time and talent.
- 90 day snapshot visions help make the long term vision less daunting. Think of them as clear and manageable building blocks or grocery lists where you can focus on getting them achieved or completed… knowing that, by doing so, you are moving towards your bigger vision. I think Matthew McConaughey speaks to such here.
- execution is everything. “Let deeds, not words, be your adorning.”
And so, I am opting to reset with revised snapshots running from January 1 2019 through to February 20 2020… some 416 days. I offer these now for myself and in the spirit of accountability… and for you in seeing examples of what such snapshots can possibly look like; simple or otherwise.
Then, and below, I offer some thoughts for the New Year.
MY NEW 90 DAY SNAPSHOTS
SNAPSHOT 1: January 1, 2019 through March 31, 2019… 90 days.
- I am a daily student of the practice of character, unity and spirit… in studies and practice
- I am learning the first basics of conversational Mandarin
- I am continuing my education studies, commencing my next and 4th course
- I am prayerfully engaged in my Ruhi studies, continuing to focus on Book 1 as baseline
- I am singing, writing and living daily, with my #bestlittledogintheworld Panda
- I am Salsa dancing weekly too
- I am building on the re-launch of the new Epic Engage™ with:
- I am sharing epic stories monthly, via video
- I am continuing to build strong connections with the business development community, including:
- Futurpreneur, and
- I am starting my Winter Term, teaching business leadership at college
- I have a 40 inch waist, eating “more than right”, walking daily
- I am following my 20022020 W.E.A.L.T.H.™ Plan.
SNAPSHOT 2: April 1, 2019 through June 30, 2019… 91 days
- I am developing my own institute course load around character, unity and spirit
- I am weekly practicing my conversational Mandarin
- I am deepening my studies with The Ruhi Institute, with Book 1
- I am continuing my education studies, with completion of my 4th course
- I am Salsa dancing weekly; oh and singing weekly too
- I am voraciously writing and cartooning my Aukwords™ blog monthly
- I am continuing the monthly work of epic stories, on video
- I am boxing in the basement weekly
- I am spending beautiful time with my #bestlittledogintheworld Panda, daily
- I am winding down my 19th year of my love of teaching with College of the North Atlantic
- I am continuing to advance my global work with the new Epic Engage™
- I am a 36 inch waist, first time in 25 years
- I am on top of my W.E.A.L.T.H.™ plan, holding true to its expectations.
SNAPSHOT 3: July 1, 2019 through September 30, 2019… 92 Days
- I am preparing to launch my new institute for character leadership and unity building
- I am functionally conversant in Mandarin, and am brushing up on basic French
- I have completed additional coursework in The Ruhi Institute, with Books 2-7
- I am continuing my education studies, with commencement of my 5th course
- I am living a life filled with song, and dance.
- I am cartooning and writing, and sharing those epic stories through video
- I am back at practicing archery, and still boxing
- I am curling again, after 24 years absence
- I am living with my #bestlittledogintheworld Panda by my side, everywhere
- I am concluding my 19th year of teaching business leadership at College of the North Atlantic
- I am growing my global work, reach and service with Epic Engage™
- I am still a 36 inch waist and have reached my 110K in weight (slim for my body structure)
- I am healthy and strong
- I am enjoying a vacation, oh yes I am
- I am staying on my W.E.A.L.T.H.™ Plan
SNAPSHOT 4: October 1, 2019, through December 31, 2019… 92 Days
- I am pre-launching the institute for character leadership and unity building
- I am sound in conversational Mandarin and advancing my French
- I have completed another course in The Ruhi Institute, with Book 8
- I am continuing my education studies, completing my 5th course
- I am in a wonderful cool and loving relationship; yes, yip, yup, uh-huh ?
- I am living a life filled with love, song, dance, cartooning, writing, epic stories, archery, boxing and more of what and who I love
- My #bestlittledogintheworld Panda is by my side in enjoying it all
- I am teaching my 20th year of business leadership at College of the North Atlantic
- I am globally serving with Epic Engage™
- I am loving it!
- I am 110K in weight (slim for my body structure) and benching same; healthy and strong
- I am financially ready, willing and able to support special projects in which I deeply want to invest and contribute.
SNAPSHOT 5: January 1, 2020 through February 19, 2020… 50 days
- The Traig`hen Institute™ in Character Leadership and Unity Building has launched
- I am conversant in Mandarin and French
- I am completing the next course load of The Ruhi Institute, with Book 9
- I am commencing my 6th course in education studies, with plans for more
- I am preparing for my second Pilgrimage to Haifa
- I am living a life filled with love, song, dance, cartooning, writing, epic stories, archery, boxing and more of what and who I love.
- My #bestlittledogintheworld Panda is by my side in enjoying it all.
- I am teaching my 20th year in business leadership at College of the North Atlantic
- I am thriving in my service and work with Epic Engage™
- I am soooooooo loving it!
- I am still that 110K in weight (slim for my body structure) and benching same; healthy and strong
- And, yes, I am financially ready, willing and able to support special projects in which I deeply want to invest and contribute.
February 20, 2020… CELEBRATE!
That day will be a celebration; a genuine and powerful and joyful one. Fully realizing living the life I soulfully believe that I am called and drawn to is a gift… and one that is earned. With that in mind…
As 2019 approaches for us all, I am not one to believe that life is meant to be magically “abundant”. It is meant to be filled with up’s and down’s, in’s and out’s, yin’s and yang’s. It is meant to be lived. But, it is best lived intentionally. We cannot control the waves but we can ride them and sail them. We cannot control those ducks but we can lead them. It requires that we get clear on where our soul knows we need to be… whether at work, school, business, community or life. That requires truthfulness and courage … to even ask, admit and accept.
It requires us to know that work is involved and demanded. It requires us to understand the vital importance of character. It demands that we find people who believe in us. It demands we do it in a world that might not yet believe in us.
Nine words have come through reflective and prayerful meditation this year, for me. “Everything requires everything. To be ready, do the work.” I believe that I am getting ever closer to fully understanding their meaning.
That is my journey for 2019. How about you?
2019, here we come.
Peace, passion and prosperity.
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy