Are You Certain?
This week, we started both a recap on what virtues we have thus far explored and an examination of the virtue of Certitude. With such a strength of character, we:
- have faith in what we believe
- define our values for ourselves
- live and lead our own lives
- reflect, meditate and/or pray on assurance
- have the will to act with certainty
- and persevere in our purpose
For today, an exercise.
Consider your life in one of the following arenas… family, school, work, business or community. Consider of what beliefs and values you find yourself truly certain. Sharpen the blades and do the work on carving down to that which you truly practice Certitude. Erode way the simple hopes and wishes and get to what I call the knowings. The sand is nice but the challenge is to get to the bedrock. Ask yourself what do you truly and deeply and knowingly believe. Ask yourself what values are at your core. Reflect and dig deep. Discern. Detach from the softer assumptions. Decide upon that for which you are truly certain. In essence, who are you? What are your absolutes?
Make an inventory at home, school, work, business and/or community. Write it out. Rip it down. Cut and edit. Consider your life to date and what you now know to be true, for you. For me, I am certain of the man and I want to be and the work I want to do… and the kind of people I most want in my inner circle. As I consider my 57 years and counting, and my moments of absolute and infinite clarity experienced over that time… I can ascertain common and united themes of my being. I can rediscover what has always been important to me and the knowing that comes from track record. For instance, upon reflecting on my life and the defining moments and common themes…
- I know that virtue and character and the nobility of the human spirit are core to me.
- I know that perfection is a myth, and perfecting is reality.
- I know that unity and humanity are held in the highest of regards, for me.
- I know singing infuses and releases my spirit.
- I know that I love the magic that is true education.
- I know that I believe in what, as a child, I called Tu’uck Ma’ah; Honor and Love in powerful combination.
- I know that I believe in the future of humanity.
- I know that humanity is our highest standard and inhumanity our lowest.
- I know that any gifts I possess are truly gifts.
- I know that there is a still, small voice inside… if I but listen.
- I know that when I have listened, wisdom arrived.
- I know that when I haven’t, pain arrived.
I could go on, and I will… on my own time. This time is yours. Indeed, there are aspects of our lives that shift and change over time. That is natural and healthy. Still, I contend that there is also a core to us; something around which we are healthily (A word? It is now.) certain. That is no mere line in the sand. It is our bedrock.
Dig deep. Discern. Detach. Decide. Then hold on for the ride and a life authentically lived.
Peace, passion and prosperity.
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy™
Barry is ultimately a vocalist, strength coach and educator. His work is about exploring, identifying, practicing and mastering our strengths and building upon them through practical and powerful unity and resourcefulness. That is why Barry is The Unity Guy™. EPIC Engage™ is an extension of The Unity Guy™. The Epic work is all about building strong, united and inspired cultures lead by character… at school, work, business and community; where everyone matters and contributes everyday.
- tips and ideas heading into Summer 2017
- Our Leader ToC Series, up to date
- 360+ and counting posts on character and leadership
PPS (Other Resources)