Earlier this week, we posted on Commit and Depart; initially exploring Commitment, Detachment and Initiative and the process of letting go to move forward.
Then, we explored Motivation and Discipline as they might connect with Commitment… particularly with my personal road back to health. I am intent on getting back to my own optimal strength and health.
Commitment to something important requires us to detach or depart from something less important. We do not break habits; we change them. That requires the virtue of Sacrifice which is to give up something important for something more important.
In doing so, we must needs find our best motivation.. driven by Enthusiasm, Purposefulness and Determination … and reinforced by Discipline. In other words, Commitment requires us to depart from old ways, in favor of new ones. We best do that by our motivation and our practice of Discipline.
We invite you to think about an important goal you might have, personally or professionally. Here is a process we might suggest.
- Get very specific as to what you are committing to achieving.
- Get clear on what you must release to do so.
- Now, get abundantly clear on your motivation. Find your enthusiasm for the goal by exploring the absolute and real relevance it has for you. Get real on it. Get particularly clear on the purpose of the goal; why it is important. Ask yourself how you will show Determination in making it happen. These are the key elements of true motivation.
- Then determine how you will practice Discipline in those moments of doubt or distraction or even despair.
Commit, release and go MaD. Try that out and see where it takes you at school, work, business and community. We think it might be interesting.
Peace, passion and prosperity.
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy™
Barry is ultimately a vocalist, strength coach and educator. His work is about exploring, identifying, practicing and mastering our strengths and building upon them through practical and powerful unity and resourcefulness. That is why Barry is The Unity Guy™. EPIC Engage™ is an extension of The Unity Guy™. The Epic work is all about building strong, united and inspired cultures lead by character… at school, work, business and community; where everyone matters and contributes everyday.
- The Leaducator Experience™
- Links to conversations with 12 leaders around the globe
- 9 perspectives on taking charge of your work and life
- Thoughts on being a Professional
- 370+ and counting posts on character and leadership
Our work is all about character. We work hard and joyfully to help build character driven, united and resourceful organizations and communities around the globe.