Some time ago, I referenced the notion of dealing with the ducks. So many things can grab our attention and disrupt and distract… and more… taking our eyes off the prize. Of late, I have been experiencing the culmination of a strategic reflection over the last year or so in particular; a reflection intended to get a sharper focus on the most important path for me. A manifestation of that culmination is found in Manifest, Oh!. In so getting to this space of late, I have been exploring patience in posts on:
- The Pit Stop of Patience
- Patiently, Something Fierce
- Strategic Patience
- and, indeed, through 2019, Here We Come.
The journey has had a last minute spurring from a reading and reflection on:
- broadCAST January 2019
- The T’ra’at is Talking
- A Best Piece of Advice I Got
- The Leaducator 2019
- Character Leadership and Education
- Ballard and Ballast
- Self Care: Putting on My PJs
- and, Your Sound Track
I offer these up for two reasons. First, I humbly suggest each is worth a read and reflect as stand alone. Second, the value in my own going back on what I have written is not lost on me. When we record, we must always remember that there is value in the review and reflect. Record, review and reflect offer a powerful, simple process for learning. I might suggest that record, review, reflect and re-engineer are a powerful foursome. I guess I just did. 🙂
That being said, in Manifest, Oh!… I stated that:
A manifesto is a published declaration of the intentions and motives. Mine now goes something like this.
- I believe in humanity and its future and I am prepared to stand for it in faith, thought, will and action. It is my best birthright. I believe it to be all of ours. I unapologetically believe in the nobility of the human spirit and choose to explore and celebrate humanity and the best and truest of heroism, humility, helpfulness and humor. Yup, there is a bunch of H factors worth hoisting and honoring. In so believing…
- I teach business leadership at College of the North Atlantic, in class and online; and love my global work with Epic Engage™.
- I work with noble minded and hearted leaducators, communitrepreneurs and emergents in advancing character leadership and unity building.
- I deliver in English, Mandarin and French to bring that work to the world.
- I have also engaged a deepened level of spiritual studies and practice through The Ruhi Institute, and more.
- I am living a life filled with love, song, dance, cartooning, writing, epic stories, archery and more of what and who I love. My #bestlittledogintheworld Panda is by my side in enjoying it all.
- I am 110K in weight (slim for my body structure) and benching same; healthy and strong. And, I am financially ready, willing and able to support special projects in which I deeply want to invest and contribute.
- I am loving it! All!
My 90 day strategic plans for 20022020 as referenced in 2019, Here We Come… they remain, and aligned. Having a powerful set of 90 day plans aligned with a truly resonant vision is a powerful thing as well. This is why I suggest some rereads of the above, on and of your own. But, the core of this blog is truly around an a-ha for me this morning.
My Best Contract
Years ago, I discovered this prayer by Abdu’l-Bahá. I fell in love with it, and then, after a time, took it for granted somewhat. In saying it this morning, I realized that it is a contract between God and myself. Let me explain.
What I ask of God is this:
O God! Refresh and gladden my spirit. Purify my heart. Illumine my powers.
What I promise to God is this:
I lay all my affairs in Thy hand.
What I expect of God is this:
Thou art my Guide and my Refuge.
What I commit to God is this:
I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved; I will be a happy and joyful being. O God! I will no longer be full of anxiety, nor will I let trouble harass me. I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life.
What I accept from God is this:
O God! Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself.
What I give to God is this:
I dedicate myself to Thee, O Lord.
That being said, I have my free will, or I would not be choosing to offer up what I do in this prayer. I could chose not to do so. That is my right, and responsibility.
So, why is this important? For me, I now see that the path towards my Vision 20022020 with its 90 day strategic plans, and the living of my manifesto, must needs be best guided by this contract in the form of this prayer. As I walk resolute towards, I need to remember what I ask and what I promise.
I Ask, Expect and Request
- I ask to have my spirit refreshed and gladdened, my heart purified of questionable motives, and my powers illumined. I ask and expect that God be my Guide and Refuge. I ask and recognize that God be my better friend.
- I promise that I will lay all my affairs in the “hand of God”. I promise, in so doing, that I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved and that I will be a happy and joyful being. I promise that I will no longer be full of anxiety, nor will I let trouble harass me. I promise that I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life. Full of anxiety and dwelling on the unpleasant is my promise to avoid. It does not imply that I will be free of same but that I will not dwell there. That is significant. I will have my moments but I will not stay there. Most of all it means that I promise myself to my best understanding of God.
Whether this resonates for you or not, it does for me. Whether prayer and God resonate for you or not, there is value in understanding that:
- a powerful and resonant vision is important
- 90 day strategic plans are very useful in getting there, and
- a “spiritual” contract or commitment to guide the walk is advisable.
I have my vision, my plans and now my contract. Time to up the work and business.
Peace, passion and prosperity…
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy