These past few weeks, what I am calling my Warfarer Journey towards optimal health has granted me some lessons indeed. This week, the most powerful yet.
I invite you to check this post from LinkedIn on A New Kind of Great Day.
At core, and amidst a bunch of things learned, the shift has been to me seeing my goals as being narrowed down to one ultimate goal; a vision of who I am… and as if in the right now. Everything I do, moving forward is in support of that vision. I make decisions in alignment with that vision. I get to define Barry and I ask myself each day, “what would Barry do?.
More specifically, I have only one real goal. To be that guy. Then, on a daily day tight compartment basis, I now ponder a new version of GREAT.
- GET … based on who you are and what you do, what do you need to GET done today.
- RELEVANCE… how does that powerfully relate and have resonance for your one goal of BEING and DOING? This one is a fixed point, really. You are always relating your “get” to your natural BEING and DOING.
- EXECUTE… what actions do you need to take on to go get it today?
- ASSESS… on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being DONE), at the end of the day, measure your getting it done; and be prepared to reset.
- TIMEFRAME… this is another fixed point… today… 24 hours. That is your time frame; those day tight compartments.
This speaks to me of Simplicity. I am no longer juggling what I perceive as multiple goals in various arenas of my life. Those multiple goal concepts served me well overall with a health say 75-80% completion rate I am estimating. But there are significant gaps. My road to health is really now about daily actions in terms of the Barry I envision. What would Barry do becomes a daily question of guidance, using the GREAT action model.
As to my weight loss, I am 46 pounds down, plateauing a tad… but I am getting there. I no longer have arbitrary goals of outcome, but daily goals of task and effort… that support my true goal. I am 46 pounds down, and I am doing the daily action that will inevitably witness the results. And I am feeling focused.
Peace, passion and prosperity.
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy™
Barry is ultimately a vocalist, strength coach and educator. His work is about exploring, identifying, practicing and mastering our strengths and building upon them through practical and powerful unity and resourcefulness. That is why Barry is The Unity Guy™. EPIC Engage™ is an extension of The Unity Guy™. The Epic work is all about building strong, united and inspired cultures lead by character… at school, work, business and community; where everyone matters and contributes everyday.
Some other reads, of note…
- For Leaders and Educators
- Some Thoughtful Perspectives
- One Thought at a Time
- Three Teachers
- Character Matters: Leader Thoughts
- Leader ToC
- Character First
- Developing Leadership Character
PPS (Other Resources)