Consider It? I CAN
This week, we are exploring CONSIDERATION as a virtue… a strength of character of leadership at school, work, business and community. Before we go further, CONSIDER THIS.
- To think about the needs of others, thoughtful of feelings, speaking gently and tactfully… being a joybringer with thoughtful acts… this is Consideration.
- BUT, it is also to make and hold our decisions with care and discernment, being thoughtful and mindful… considering all factors, and options.
In our work around character, leadership and getting results, we use an 8-step, 4-phase process called ICCCCCAN™…
PHASE ONE. Know Your Battleground.
- Identify the ISSUE, at hand. Get abundantly clear on what the problem actually is, as opposed to symptoms. You are attempting resolution, not a band aid… so you need to know the real and core issue.
- Determine the CAUSES that have brought you to this issue or situation. Make a clear list of the factors that have brought this issue to bear. Know thy enemy here implies knowing what caused the matter… helps you solve the matter.
- Inventory the specific CONSEQUENCES, if you do nothing. This is your motivation. Be very descriptive in terms of what will happen if you do nothing to resolve the issue. Get clear on the pain. This is your leverage.
PHASE TWO. Prepare Your Base Camp for Battle.
This phase is about knowing your realities.
- Get clear on the CRITERIA for making any decisions. What are your real world parameters in making decisions and taking action? In other words, what would truly limit your capacity to respond… time, money, other? Be truthful here, so that you identify legitimate and real criteria… and not simply excuses.
- What is your COMMUNITY of support and resources available in addressing the issue? Who has your back? Who can you call on? What resources are available going forward?
PHASE THREE: Battle Cry!
This is the heart of your solution. Character is fundamental to great responses. Character leadership matters at the heart of any issue.
- What is the CHARACTER demanded by the matter at hand? What strengths of character are demanded to address the situation fully and effectively? Character is the basis of great and consistent and needed action? Get clear on the virtues you need bring to the table?
PHASE FOUR: Engage the Fight!!!
Now, and action!
- What are the ACTIONS and behaviours to be manifested and demonstrated, born of the character to be practiced in making a difference? Make your detailed action plan.
- What is your first step, NOW? Be specific.
These 8 steps in 4 phases demand diligence, discernment and decisiveness. So, maybe you might consider this process. It is one wholly characterized by CONSIDERATION.
Peace, passion and prosperity.
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy™
Barry is ultimately a vocalist, strength coach and educator. His work is about exploring, identifying, practicing and mastering our strengths and building upon them through practical and powerful unity and resourcefulness. That is why Barry is The Unity Guy™. EPIC Engage™ is an extension of The Unity Guy™. The Epic work is all about building strong, united and inspired cultures lead by character… at school, work, business and community; where everyone matters and contributes everyday.
Here are some additional resources that may be of use and\or interest:
- The Leaducator Experience™
- encourage confidence
- thoughts on three days and virtues
- ideas on success from 9 perspectives
- and here… thoughts on loving your work.
- Plus 380+ LinkedIn Blog Posts and counting on character, leadership and education.
PPS (Other Resources)
- Our work is all about character. We work hard and joyfully to help build character driven, united and resourceful organizations and communities around the globe. As part of that work, we offer you …
- and our buffet of FREE services and resources here.