In our last post, last Wednesday, we posed 5 questions heading into 2020. We recommend the read. I personally went through the questions and came up with…
I referenced it in thoughts on Unity along with many links to thought around character in December. I invite you to engage those reads. But here, this “meme” is ultimately of 5 areas of my life that matter most to me. This is my vision board for 2020. It is a simple and focused grocery list.
As we head into 2020, there will be many “celebrations”. My question is, “Do these celebrations have anything to do with growth and achievement or simply are they about the turning of some clock?”
I prefer the former to the latter. The latter is arbitrary and a sense of the same ol’ same ol’… going through the motions. The former celebrates focus and achievement and even blessings, if you will.
As you celebrate the passing of 2019, reflect upon any growth that happened for you and/or your loved ones. I look upon my 9 milestones set last February and see accomplishment of 7 by December 31; and I will celebrate in my own way.
How about for you? As you leave 2019 behind, what will you celebrate? As you enter 2020, decide upon what will make 2020 a good year for you… and focus on that to which you truly want to bring energy.
Make it real. Make it count. The motions are over-rated.
In the New Year, we return with a series.
Until then, we wish you a Happy New Year.
Peace, passion, prosperity, and a whole bunch of Love and Character
Benny and Jarry
Peace, passion and prosperity…
- broadCAST October 2019
- Leaducator October 2019
- Deliver October 2019
- AukWords October 2019
- broadCAST mini-library
Benny and Jarry
Jenny Dearing speaks to love in action. She brings talent, experience and learning around love, trauma and care. With a passion for Child and Youth Care and Addictions, and a background in same, she connects, and memorably so. Her work spans children and youth care with addictions, personal and senior care, respite work, and business leadership; delivering on all. Jenny is a Certified Virtues Project™ Facilitator, with professional training in child and youth care with addictions support and home support services. With certification in ASIST Suicide First Aid, Autism Awareness and Understanding, Trauma Information Care and Child and Youth Care Practice, Jenny brings it, with zeal. On top of all that, she loves singing, and is an accomplished multi-media artist … and brings both to her work. Artistry is a path to love and healing. Jenny knows it. She believes in it. She drives it.
Barry Lewis Green moves the needle on character leadership and unity building with joyful ferocity and thoughtful zeal. Barry helps leaders forge strong, united cultures at school, work, business and community. Joe Calloway says, “I had the distinct pleasure of being in an audience in Montreal with Barry Lewis Green on the stage. Quite simply, Barry absolutely captivated us with his talent, his message, and his heart. The feeling of unity that Barry created in the room that day was extraordinary.” With 39 years in education and leadership training and development … and work in the private, public and community sectors across Canada… and as a speaker, educator, master facilitator, coach, writer, singer, dancer, and cartoonist, Barry stokes the fire on together strong.
On New Year’s Eve, I wrote this on And So It is New Year 2019. It concerned itself with vision and goals, purpose, meaning, character and more… and I truly and humbly do suggest the read.
Last night and today, January 1-2 in the Northeast Avalon including St. John’s and Mount Pearl, we were met with this storm. At first it promised to be a blizzard, but it turned and is turning out to be two storms in one. I even liken it to a bit of a snowy hurricane; high winds and snow, lightening up with rain and freezing rain for a bit, then returning to snow and very high winds. It has grounded the city, at the very beginning of the new year. For a snapshot look, notice the shovel handle in the far right of the photo, just outside the door.
Yup, walloped a bit hard, and amidst all the plans for the new year. Social media has been filled with messages for a great new year, and I am sure many had plans to hit the ground running, myself included. For me, the intent was and is to launch the new EPIC Speakernet…. 26 expert speakers coming together to be available for conferences and events in Newfoundland and Labrador… effective and officially today. The thought was and is to launch the introduction of #hUmaNITY and Project BLACKWING™… this week. The thought was and is to launch our now 19 free services… including DELIVER™, CAPS Cares, and Speakeasies™. And yes, our updated site. Yes, there were great intentions, and I guess, by noting them here, I have kind of introduced and/or launched each. Still, I am reminded that journeys require patience. Even just two days in can test the journey. We are eager to get at it. Then, right at the beginning, a wheel can fall off.
Patience is not about biting our tongues or holding our breaths. Patience is the power (or at least one of the core powers) of the hunt, and the journey. The hunt is not simply about the chase, but the wait.
And that can be weighty for many of us. I know that it can be for me. But then and tonight, I think…
The Virtues Reflection Card says it is hopeful and expectant, un-rushed and gentle with mistakes. It says it accepts where we are, with an essential confidence that that is not where we will stay. Patience does not panic or become disturbed or doubtful. It breathes well. It trusts that we will make it. It is the tortoise over the hare. It has a quiet confidence, and sense of certitude. It know it will get there.
As my back is “gone” and the snow keeps coming, I need to understand this. As we each reach for that which we most soulfully desire this year, in whatever areas and arenas of our lives, we need to remember that Rome took more than a day. Our souls know that. Our egos struggle with it. Listen to your soul. Our lives are journeys. Our years are segments. Our days are miles. Some miles are pit stops and we (I) must remember that the pit stops are necessary. Indeed, I believe it was the remarkable Stephen Covey who once referenced that sometimes we are too busy to stop for gas, and we must stop for gas.
So, as you venture forth in 2019, enjoy the ride, be alert to the times for both movement and stillness. If it helps, I offer up this prayer I say in remembrance of my sister.
- Make me ready, in all circumstances, O my Lord, to serve Thee and to set myself towards the adored sanctuary of Thy Revelation and of Thy Beauty. If it be Thy pleasure, make me to grow as a tender herb in the meadows of Thy grace, that the gentle winds of Thy will may stir me up and bend me into conformity with Thy pleasure, in such wise that my movement and my stillness may be wholly directed by Thee.
Among other things, it speaks to me of the necessity of movement and stillness. It is not all up to me. I am simply to be ready. This storm is out of my control, as is much in life. What is within my grasp is the ability to be ready. In education, leadership, business community building and more… certainly, in life … in 2019, I wish that you live your life ready and to be alert to the things that come your way.
Listen and live.
Peace, passion and prosperity…
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy
Last week, I shared in Homes Stretch, 3 Steps that, among other things, I am reminded there are three simple but hard steps working towards our own something cool … first, have the big picture clearly in mind and heart… second, establish mini 90-day snapshots to be the bricks in building that something cool, and, third, execute. The hard part is to take the time in getting clear… and in the doing it. Yes, clarity and commitment to follow through are simple and hard. And, crucial. This week, after an eventful, soul searching and eye opening week, I offer the following.
THE BIG PICTURE STAYS TRUE
If anything, this week confirmed for me that my big picture vision stands. It is important to be clear… and clarity requires diligence in the reflection on same. Clarity requires digging and questioning and observing and listening. This week, I had numerous moments to do so and get sure. My vision remains, and stronger for the reflection this week.
- It is 20022020, and I am a master and lifelong student of the global body of work around character leadership and unity building. I have learned conversational Mandarin and French to bring that work more global. I have also engaged a deepened level of spiritual studies and practice through The Ruhi Institute, and more. I am living a life filled with love, song, dance, cartooning, writing, epic stories, archery, boxing and more of what and who I love. My #bestlittledogintheworld Panda is by my side in enjoying it all. I am teaching business leadership at College of the North Atlantic, in class and online; and doing my global work of Epic Engage™. I am loving it! I am 110K in weight (slim for my body structure) and benching same; healthy and strong. And, I am financially ready, willing and able to support special projects in which I deeply want to invest and contribute.
That being said, this week also suggested that I might boil it down to:
- It is 20022020, and I am The Unity Guy™; student and educator around leadership grounded in character, unity, and spirit… delivering in English, Mandarin and French. I am living a life filled with love, song, dance, cartooning, writing, epic stories, archery, boxing and all of what and who I love. I am healthy and strong, and wealthy enough to do the work I choose; living as a happy and joyful man.
That is my gift to me on 20022020. And, it is best manifested by understanding it as reality now. Michelangelo himself suggested that he carved the angel out of the stone, implying it was already in there. Getting clear on that pre-existing condition of reality matters and should not be avoided as something warm and fuzzy. It is bedrock.
So, the big picture is confirmed, and in hand. Indeed, over the years, I have developed a system I call GREAT™ Vision. To have a powerful vision, you set your GOAL with specifics, then get abundantly clear on its RELEVANCE for you. You figure out how you will EVALUATE your progress. You determine your ACTIONS necessary, and you set your TIMETABLE. The above around which I have articulated these past few days and weeks meets the needs on goal, relevance and timetable. Let us consider execution and evaluation. Enter, the other two steps previously noted.
- establish mini 90-day snapshots to be the bricks in building that something cool, and
MY 90 DAY SNAPSHOTS
To manifest the vision, I had noted last week that:
- I will walk as a student of character
- I will learn the very basics of conversational Mandarin
- I will prayerfully engage in my Ruhi studies
- I will sing, write, and live with my #bestlittledogintheworld Panda
- I will teach business leadership at college and do my thing with Epic Engage™
- I will eat “more than right” and walk daily.
I now suggest, with tweaks and as part of my 90-day snapshots…
SNAPSHOT 1: November 15, 2018 through February 12, 2019… 90 days.
- I am walking as a daily student of the practice of character, unity and spirit
- I am learning the first basics of conversational Mandarin and French
- I am continuing my education studies, completing my current course
- I am prayerfully engaged in my Ruhi studies, Books 1 through 7
- I am singing, writing and living daily, with my #bestlittledogintheworld Panda
- I have re-launched the new Epic Engage™ in January, with:
- Project Black Wing™ for launch January 1, 2019
- DELIVER™ sessions November 2018 and January 2019
- Thinking CAPS™ national chats December 2018, and January and February 2019
- NLAWS™ and Speakernet officially launched January 1, 2019
- new blog-comic strip called Aukwords™ launched in January 2019
- momondays St. John`s December 10, 2018
- Speakeasies™ starting in January 2019
- I am sharing epic stories, via video and momondays
- I have strong connections with the business development community, including:
- Futurpreneur, and
- I have successfully completed the Fall term, teaching business leadership at college
- I have a 38 inch waist, eating “more than right”, walking daily
- I have completed and constructed my 20022020 462-day W.E.A.L.T.H.™ Plan.
February 13-20, 2019: Reflection, Reset and 59th Birthday
SNAPSHOT 2: February 21 through May 21, 2019… 90 days
- I am developing my own institute course load around character, unity and spirit
- I am weekly practicing my conversational Mandarin and French
- I am advancing my studies with The Ruhi Institute, with Book 8
- I am continuing my education studies, with completion of 1 new course
- I am Salsa dancing weekly; oh and singing weekly too
- I am voraciously writing and cartooning my Aukwords™ blog monthly
- I am continuing the monthly work of epic stories, on video and through momondays
- I am boxing in the basement weekly
- I am spending beautiful time with my #bestlittledogintheworld Panda, daily
- I am winding down my 18th year of my love of teaching with College of the North Atlantic
- I am continuing to advance my global work with the new Epic Engage™
- I am a 36 inch waist, first time in 25 years
- I am on top of my W.E.A.L.T.H.™ plan, holding true to its expectations.
May 21-24: Reflection
SNAPSHOT 3: May 25 through August 22, 2019… 90 days
- I am preparing to launch my new institute for character leadership and unity building
- I am functionally and basically conversant in Mandarin and French
- I have completed an additional course in The Ruhi Institute, Book 9
- I am continuing my education studies, with completion of 2 courses
- I am in a wonderful cool and loving relationship; yes, yip, yup, uh-huh 🙂
- I am living a life filled with love, song, and dance.
- I am cartooning and writing, and sharing those epic stories through video and momondays
- I am back at practicing archery, and still boxing
- I am living with my #bestlittledogintheworld Panda by my side, everywhere
- I am concluding my 18th year of teaching business leadership at College of the North Atlantic
- I am growing my global work, reach and service with Epic Engage™
- I am still a 36 inch waist and have reached my 110K in weight (slim for my body structure)
- I am healthy and strong
- I am enjoying a vacation, oh yes I am
- I am staying on my W.E.A.L.T.H.™ Plan
August 23-24: Reflection
August 25 through November 22, 2019… 90 days
- I am delivering on the institute for character leadership and unity building
- I am sound in conversational Mandarin and French
- I have completed another course in The Ruhi Institute, Book 10
- I am continuing my education studies
- I am living a life filled with love, song, dance, cartooning, writing, epic stories, archery, boxing and more of what and who I love
- My #bestlittledogintheworld Panda is by my side in enjoying it all
- I am teaching my 19th year of business leadership at College of the North Atlantic
- I am globally serving with Epic Engage™
- I am loving it!
- I am 110K in weight (slim for my body structure) and benching same; healthy and strong
- I am financially ready, willing and able to support special projects in which I deeply want to invest and contribute.
November 23, 2019 through February 20, 2020… 90 days
- The Traig`hen Institute™ in Character Leadership and Unity Building has launched
- I am conversant in Mandarin and French
- I have completed the full course load of The Ruhi Institute
- I am preparing for my second Pilgrimage to Haifa
- I am living a life filled with love, song, dance, cartooning, writing, epic stories, archery, boxing and more of what and who I love.
- My #bestlittledogintheworld Panda is by my side in enjoying it all.
- I am teaching my 19th year in business leadership at College of the North Atlantic
- I am thriving in my service and work with Epic Engage™
- I am soooooooo loving it!
- I am still that 110K in weight (slim for my body structure) and benching same; healthy and strong
- And, yes, I am financially ready, willing and able to support special projects in which I deeply want to invest and contribute.
First, I had a dream. Then, I had a vision. It was deliberated on and articulated, and reflected upon and crafted. THEN, and now, I have a plan with a checklist for measurement. Now, it is about the execution.
With that in mind, I am a strong believer that relevance fuels execution. Knowing THE WHY is vital. I know my why. I am approaching 60. I am young. My stroke taught me that life is not given; it is appreciated. The best way we can appreciate it is to live it. The best way to live it is to live it as you. In the Baha’ì Faith there are several Writings that even more deeply;y speak to me at this time.
- Noble have I created thee, yet thou hast abased thyself. Rise then unto that for which thou wast created. These words speak to me of the idea that we all are created noble but yet we sell ourselves much too short, forget who we are and are expected to rise to who we always have been.
- Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value. Education can, alone, cause it to reveal its treasures, and enable mankind to benefit therefrom. This speaks to me of the vital and noble nature of education, for the betterment of the world. Speaking of which…
- The betterment of the world can be accomplished through pure and goodly deeds, through commendable and seemly conduct. These words speak to me of a simple power we all have; character.
- Let deeds, not words, be your adorning. This speaks for itself; action… execution.
They all speak to me of relevance, for me. My humble suggestion is to get clear on what is deeply important for you. Know your big picture, however simple it might be. Get clear on your snapshot milestones. Then, execute.
Therein lies the GREAT hunt. Therein, the way to live up to our heroes.
Peace, passion and prosperity.
Barry Lewis Green, aka The Unity Guy
The broadCAST™ is a monthly weigh in by members of The CAST™ of Epic Engage™. Independent experts in their own right, members of The CAST™ are asked to answer a question of simple but possibly profound nature. We wholeheartedly encourage you to connect with these experts on their respective expertise and how it might be of service to you. They each bring great value in service to their work. With that in mind, we wish you a Happy New Year and offer that the question for the month is:
“What is one piece of advice you have regarding setting and achieving goals for 2017?“
FIRST OFF, we humbly, proudly and excitedly introduce our newest member of The CAST™…
CHRIS SPURVEY SAYS…
Thank you Chris, and WELCOME! Now…
RAY HOLLISTER SAYS…
Ray Hollister is all about strength, excellence and potential. In fact, he has a very special connection with students – he’s helped thousands achieve average scores of over 90% for 20 years! His love of learning… and his ability to teach anybody the same easy strategies he used to study far less than everyone else while maintaining outrageously high test scores… quickly earned him a lot of ‘friends’ seeking his advice. Ray has personally conducted numerous studies to develop an intense, focused, and results oriented program for college students. With the success of that program, Ray set his sights on helping younger students in Junior High, High School, and those just entering University. The end result is a program that will help any student – especially YOU – learn more, study less, and earn consistently high grades. www.rayhollister.net
JAMIE McCABE SAYS…
JOEL SWEENEY SAYS….
Joel Sweeney is all about effective communications. He has been speaking, training, coaching and writing about it for over 20 years. He is the author of The Wedding MC Handbook and Little Helpings of Food for Thought. His third book, The Speaker’s Tool Box – Perfecting the Craft of Speaking, was released in the 2015. He is the owner of Professionally Speaking (established in 1995). Joel helps entrepreneurs and business professional become effective, engaging and confident speakers. www.JoelSweeney.com
MARK BLACK SAYS….
After you brainstorm a list of goals, go back through them and ask yourself one question: why? Why do you want to achieve that goal? If you have an immediate answer, it’s a good goal. If you can’t come up with an answer, leave it off of your list.
SHEENA GROBB SAYS….
Sheena Grobb Singer/Songwriter and Speaker… is humbly amazing. “It is without a doubt a masterpiece of songwriting and soundscape. Really incredible, soulful music. She will definitely get a huge audience in time, trust me.” Alex Wharton, Abbey Road Studios. A songbird from the age of two, songwriter at ten, with 3 albums under her belt, a nomination for the Western Canadian Music Awards, and over 500 tour dates across Canada, the US, and the UK, Sheena Grobb (one of Canada’s best kept secrets) is spilling over. With the release of her newest album, The Breakless Heart, mastered at Abbey Road Studios in London, and a life changing music video created by Lindsey Nelko (past choreographer with So You Think You Can Dance), Sheena is embarking on her most meaningful project yet – The Living Compassion Project™ – inviting others to “unlock their lives” through sharing their stories… as she begins to share hers. www.sheenagrobb.com
TRENT LANGDON SAYS…
When working with students and adults, an effective strategy for goal-setting is the identification of individual support systems and resources. Doing an inventory of your personal ‘safety net’ can be quite an empowering exercise for many reasons: it increases thoughts of positivity, gives you opportunities that you may not have otherwise considered, helps you to identify those individuals that may not be supportive of your ventures, and provides quick contacts for you when you may need them most. A subsequent exercise is to connect with these identified human resources once you have made ‘your list’, inform them of your goals, and request their assistance (or potential interventions if needed). Having ‘morale boosters’, ‘a cheering section’, or a ‘listening ear’ can do wonders in successfully attaining your goals. Best of luck and ‘chin up’ in 2017…
Trent Langdon is all about building legacy through character education and development. He is a junior high school counselor for 650+ adolescents and is dedicated to serving his students, their families, and communities. Trent works on behalf of his colleagues to build identity, protect professional roles, and to give teachers ‘a voice’; currently completing his 2nd term as a member of the Provincial Executive Council of the Newfoundland & Labrador Teachers Association (NLTA) and now as a the incoming NLTA Vice-President for the 2017-2019 term of office. Trent is also a Canadian Certified Counselor with the Canadian Counseling & Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) and serves as a member of the CCPA Ethics Committee (Complaints Division). And last but certainly not least, Trent is a proud contributor to the Epic Engage team. www.epicengage.com
MAJEED MOGHARREBAN SAYS…
When setting a goal, start with the words “I will” and end with the words “no matter what!”. Then, once the goal is set, focus on the ACTIVITY, not the goal. For example, if the goal is to make $100,000, the activity might be to make 3 phone calls every day. If the goal is to write a book, the activity might be to write 1000 words per day. Focus on the activity so that achieving the goal is inevitable. To expand on this… choose one goal and really dig into it. Get ultra clear on that one goal. Get clear on why you have set that goal. Turn that goal into a commitment by starting with the words “I will…” and ending with the words “…no matter what.” For example, instead of saying “My goal is to write a book in 2017”, make your goal be “I will write a 25,000 word book about youth entrepreneurship training in high schools, completing my first draft by May 2017 and having a published, printed book in my hand by November 2017, no matter what.” Be specific. Be committed. And get started today!
Majeed Mogharreban is all about entrepreneurship. He owned and sold five successful businesses and traveled to 24 countries before he was 21 years old. After early success in business, now his mission is to support the next generation of entrepreneurs to make a difference doing what they love. With clients ranging from the United Nations, to start-up businesses, to an Olympic gold medalist, Majeed helps you discover your strengths and your passions so that work is meaningful and fun. His book, Winning At Life, is a guide for young people to make a plan and win at life. www.majeedm.com
BARRY LEWIS GREEN SAYS…
First of all , my wish for you in 2017 is always peace, passion and prosperity. Secondly, and like Joel, I have opted to offer my message on goal setting and achievement in video style on Facebook Live, rough, raw and real. Thirdly, you can find a PDF for GREAT Goals here. I hope you engage and enjoy. 🙂
Barry Lewis Green is ultimately a vocalist, strength coach and educator. His work is about voicing, exploring, identifying, practicing and mastering our strengths and building upon them through practical and powerful unity and resourcefulness. His book Human Being Being Being Human speaks to that. and that is why Barry is The Unity Guy™. EPIC Engage™ is an extension of The Unity Guy™. The Epic work is all about building strong, united and inspired cultures lead by character… at school, work and community; where everyone matters and contributes everyday. www.epicengage.com
QUOTES for the MONTH
- Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment. — Jim Rohn
- What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. — Zig Ziglar
- Everybody has goals, aspirations or whatever, and everybody has been at a point in their life where nobody believed in them. — Eminem
VIDEO for the MONTH
- Robert Mathis on protecting your dream.
The FREEPIC Forums™
Check out free resources and services right here.
Happy New Year!